The second battle of Adobe Walls occurred on June 27, 1874, when 300-700 Cheyennes, Comanches, and Kiowas, under the leadership of Quanah Parker, attacked a buffalo hunters' camp, built in the spring of that year in what is now Hutchinson County (about a mile from the ruins of a trading post known as Adobe Walls). Most of the hunters at the camp were awake repairing a broken ridgepole when the Indians charged at dawn. The defenders, 28 men and one woman, gathered in Jim Hanrahan, Charlie Myers, Leonard's Store, Charles Rath and Wright's Store repelled the initial charge with a loss of only two men. Another was lost in later charges, which continued until about noon, and a fourth man was accidentally killed by the discharge of his own shotgun. The Native Americans, who had been urged into the fight by medicine man Isa-tai, tried a siege for four or five days but made no other attacks.
On the second day, when a group of 15 or 20 Cheyennes appeared on a mesa overlooking the post about 7/8 of a mile away, William (Billy) Dixon, allegedly shot one of the Cheyennes off his horse. By the fifth day, more than 100 buffalo hunters were at Adobe Walls, and the Native Americans left. This fight led to the Red River War of 1874–75. In 1924, W. T. Coble, owner of the Turkey Track Ranch, donated the battle site to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, which erected a monument on the site that same year. In 1975, the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum began a systematic archaeological excavation of the largely undisturbed site.For directions to the site, click here